26/11 attack accused Tahawwur Rana to be extradited to India

New Delhi: A US court has approved the extradition of Pakistani-origin Canadian businessman Tahawwur Rana to India. The authorities sought Rana for his involvement in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack.

New Delhi was expecting the decision as last month, a source-based report mentioned that India’s National Investigation Agency (NIA) was preparing to initiate the extradition proceedings against one of the main accused in 26/11 attacks in Mumbai by Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorists in 2008.

Judge Jacqueline Chooljian, US Magistrate Judge of the US District Court Central District of California, said, “The Court has reviewed and considered all of the documents submitted in support of and in opposition to the Request, and has considered the arguments presented at the hearing.”

The judge further wrote: “Based on such review and consideration and for the reasons discussed herein, the Court makes the findings set forth below, and CERTIFIES to the Secretary of State of the United States the extraditability of Rana on the charged offences that are the subject of the Request.”

During court proceedings, US Government attorneys argued that Rana was aware that his childhood friend, Pakistani-American David Coleman Headley, was involved with the terrorist organization LeT, and that by assisting Headley and providing cover for his activities, he was supporting the terrorist organization and its associates.

It was also said that Rana was aware of Headley’s meetings, and the attack strategy, including some of the targets. The US government claimed that Rana was a member of the conspiracy and that he committed the substantive crime of commissioning a terrorist act.

On the other hand, Rana’s attorney spoke against the extradition.

On November 26, 2008, India was rocked by a series of terrorist attacks when members of LeT carried out 12 coordinated shooting and bombing attacks in Mumbai. A total of 166 people, including six Americans and more than 300 were wounded during the attacks that lasted for four days.

Image courtesy of SAT file photo

Share this post