By Atul Vyas
Explaining Vibhuti Yoga – The yoga of divine glories, in the tenth chapter of Srimad Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna in verse 26 has said, “among the trees, he is the Fig tree.” The fig tree is considered holy in Sanatan tradition.
It is believed that the three forms of the God namely Brahma, Vishnu, and Mahesh dwell in the fig tree. Astrologically, it is believed that offering water to the fig tree before Sunrise reduces the evil effects of Saturn. This tree has great medicinal value, and it is said that its parts can help cure Asthma and diabetes. It is regarded as the best of all trees in the world.
On account of the above factors, it is forbidden amongst Hindus to cut down the fig tree. There is one posture in yoga named after this holy fig tree called Ashwathasana or holy fig tree yoga pose.
Ashwathasana is a beginner-level yoga pose that is performed in a standing position. The practice of this posture allows the greater intake of oxygen and greater release of carbon dioxide and other gaseous impurities from the body. It thus imparts glow, beauty, and health.
- Stand with both the feet joined together
- Raise the right leg back as far as possible keeping the knee straight or locked
- Keep the left or other leg on the floor
- Now raise the left arm upwards palm facing the front and elbows locked
- Raise the right arm sideways parallel to the right shoulder palm facing the floor
- Chest should be expanded.
- Remain in this position for a count of 10 seconds then repeat it with the other side alternating the position of the legs
- Helps in curing or preventing asthma and Diabetes
- Practice of this asana makes all ten “vayus” of the body namely Apana, Samana, Vyana, Udana, Naga, Kurma, Krkala, Devdutta, and Dhananjaya circulate freely and evenly in the body
- Enhances intake of “Prana” – the vital force in the body
- Extremely good for women and can be practiced during pregnancy
- Cures respiratory troubles in expectant mothers
- Improves blood circulation
- Alleviates labor pains
(The author likes to be called a “Yoga Scientist.” He is a celebrity yoga trainer and has trained several top Hollywood and Bollywood stars. He has trained for years under many eminent yoga gurus including his illustrious mother Daya Vyas, the first lady yoga guru of India.)