Madrid, Sep 23: Real Madrid president Florentino Perez said on Sunday that the club will not play a competitive regular-season La Liga match in the United States.
The Spanish league had announced last month it was seeking to hold a match in January between Barcelona and Girona in Miami, but has faced stiff opposition from the football players union, which on Saturday said the players were ready to go on strike over the issue, reports Efe.
We are not going to the United States. Im not sure who it would benefit, neither the clubs nor the fans. We flatly deny it, Perez asserted.
The club president also called for humility amid Real Madrids current era of success, as the club embarks on its first season in several years without superstar forward Cristiano Ronaldo and coach Zinedine Zidane, who led the club to three Champions League titles in a row.
We must avoid falling into the error of a disproportionate demand, and not get to thinking that the wins come easily, Perez said in a speech at the clubs general assembly meeting.
In sport, we have to know how to win and how to lose, so in this historic cycle, we cant think were entitled to always win everything. We must value what we are achieving, he added.
Perez also gave a grateful tribute during the assembly to Ronaldo, who left for Serie A side Juventus over the summer, and Zidane, who retired after the 2017/2018 season.
(Ronaldos) career will be told from generation to generation. Its an example for all those who wear our jerseys and those who have the dream of doing it one day. Thank you very much Cristiano, he said.
Zidane is one of our great legends, and is part of the history of Real Madrid. He knows this is his home forever, as does Cristiano Ronaldo, he added.