Dominican court denies bail to Mehul Choksi

New Delhi: Fugitive diamantaire Mehul Choksi has been produced before a local Magistrate in Dominica to answer charges of his illegal entry into the island country following a court order.

Choksi appeared before the magistrate on a wheelchair. He was denied bail later.

Earlier, the Dominica High Court ruled that Choksi, who is wanted in India in the Rs 13,500 crore Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud case, must be brought before a local magistrate on June 2 afternoon to face charges of illegal entry.

According to people familiar with the matter, Justice Bernie Stephenson ruled that Choksi is to face charges of illegal entry into Dominica.

Choski has been undergoing treatment at the China friendship hospital since last week.

Choksi had gone missing from Antigua and Barbuda on May 23 sparking a massive manhunt. He was captured in Dominica on May 26.

Earlier in the day, Choksi had told an Indian news outlet that he was abducted by Indian agents and was given shock with a Taser gun whenever he resisted. He also alleged that he was beaten up by the officials.

On May 27, the first pictures of Choksi emerged online, showing several signs of bruises on his arms and a swollen eye.

However, Antigua Police Commissioner Atlee Rodney has dismissed the claims of Choksi’s counsel and said that they have no information on him being forcefully removed. An eight-member team of Indian officials has also landed in Dominica on a private jet for the extradition of Choksi.

A Dominican court has restrained the extradition of Choksi till further orders by hearing the habeas corpus plea filed by his lawyers.

Image courtesy of (IndiaTV)

Share this post