New Delhi: The latest round of talks between Indian and Chinese military commanders over the standoff in Ladakh broke down, the Indian Army said, adding that that the Chinese side was not “agreeable” and “could not provide any forward-looking proposals”.
“During the meeting, the Indian side […] made constructive suggestions for resolving the remaining areas but the Chinese side was not agreeable and also could not provide any forward-looking proposals…,” an Indian army statement said.
“The two sides have agreed to maintain communications and also to maintain stability on the ground…,” it added.
China also indicated the talks had failed, with a statement from the Chinese military’s Western Theater Command saying, “India insists on unreasonable and unrealistic demands, adding difficulties to the negotiations”.
India had pressed for an early disengagement of troops in the remaining friction points in eastern Ladakh at the 13th round of military talks with China that lasted for around eight hours on October 10.
A major focus of the Corps Commander-level talks on the Chinese side of the Chushul-Moldo border point in eastern Ladakh was to complete the stalled disengagement at the Hot Springs area.
Tensions have been high between the nuclear-armed neighbors following a deadly border battle in June last year in the strategically important Galwan river valley in Ladakh.