New Delhi: Indian and Chinese troops clashed at the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Arunachal Pradesh last week before disengaging. The face-off on December 9 led to “minor injuries to a few personnel from both sides” and the two sides “immediately disengaged from the area”.
The face-off took place at Yangtse in the Tawang Sector of Arunachal Pradesh. Chinese troops crossed the LAC, which was contested by Indian soldiers in a “firm and resolute manner”.
This is the first time in a long time that such clashes have been reported between Indian and Chinese troops since skirmishes at Eastern Ladakh.
“India is that immortal seed which overcomes all adverse circumstances. India is the most refined idea of human civilization and the most natural voice of humanity.”
– Indian PM Narendra Modi after border clash
The worst of these clashes broke out at Galwan Valley in June 2020, when 20 Indian soldiers died for the country and over 40 Chinese soldiers were killed or injured. The incident set off a series of confrontations between the two nations, including one at the South Bank of Pangong Lake.
Defense Minister Rajnath Singh said Indian Army troops bravely stopped the Chinese Army from transgressing the LAC.
“I want to assure the House that no Indian soldier was killed or severely injured. I also assure the House that our Army can defend the country’s territorial integrity. Our Army is ready to tackle any transgression. I firmly believe the House will support the bravery and courage of our armed forces,” Singh said in the Parliament.
Days after the clash, Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said the situation at the India-China border was ‘generally stable’.
In the face-off between Indian and Chinese troops in Yangtse, PLA troops clashed with three units of the Indian Army belonging to different infantry regiments.
The Chinese were armed with clubs, sticks and other equipment for the clash. The Indian troops were also prepared for the clash as they had known the intentions of the adversary, they said.
“Glad both sides disengaged”: US
The White House has said the Biden administration is glad that both India and China quickly disengaged after clashing in Arunachal Pradesh’s Tawang sector. During a press briefing, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said that the US is closely monitoring the situation and encourages both sides to utilize existing bilateral channels to discuss disputed boundaries.
“We are glad both sides have quickly disengaged from clashes. We’re closely monitoring the situation, and encourage India and China to utilize existing bilateral channels to discuss disputed boundaries,” said Karine Jean-Pierre on India-China clashes.