2 tsp aniseed
2 tsp poppy seeds
8 cardamom pods
12 tsp sugar
2 tsp peppercorns
2 tsp cumin seeds
300 ml water
400 mil milk
4 tsp crushed ice
Saffron – a pinch
Grind all the spices with the almonds separately. Blend together in a large bowl and add water, milk and saffron. Strain through muslin cloth until the liquid is smooth and serve cold.
Milk (Full cream) – 2 liter
Almond – 20 gm
Pistachio – 20 gm
Green cardamom – 4-5 no.
Thandai syrup – 150 gm
Sugar – optional
* Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan on slow heat
* Add crushed green cardamom and simmer till reduced by half
* Strain and put on fire again on slow heat
* Continue stirring and scraping the sides to avoid burning
* Now add blanched, skinned and slivered almonds and pistachio
* Reduce further till it is reduced to 1/3rd.
* Take off fire. Cool and add thandai syrup. Mix thoroughly
* Add in moulds and refrigerate till set
* Demould, serve chilled and garnish with nuts
Thandai dark chocolate truffles
Almonds 50g (1/2 cup)
Pistachio 30g (1/4 cup)
Cashews 30g (1/4 cup)
Melon seeds 20g (1 tbsp)
Peppercorns 2-3 nos
Cardamom powder 1 pinch
Saffron 2-3 strands
Gulkand (preserved rose petals) 50g
Fennel seeds 2 tsp
* Add the dry fruits to a blender jar, pulse it to make a coarse powder.
* Add peppercorns, fennel seeds, cardamom powder, saffron to this and grind to make a coarse powder.
* Transfer the contents to a bowl, add gulkand to this and make a dough
* Divide the mixture into approx 6 balls.
* Melt a dark chocolate (compound or 70% dark chocolate) and roll each ball in this melted chocolate to coat it well.
* Place it in the deep freeze on a plate for 10-15 mins and allow it to set.
* Serve the truffles as a dessert and enjoy your festival of colors.
(Courtesy: Hindustan Times)