Mass stabbing in Canada leaves 10 dead, multiple injured

New York: Canadian police found one of the suspects in a mass stabbing spree dead on August 6 while the other suspect, his brother, remained at large.

The brothers had been suspected of murdering 10 people and wounding 18 in a stabbing rampage that devastated an indigenous community in Saskatchewan on August 5.

The attacks were among the deadliest in Canada’s modern history. Police said some of the victims appeared to have been targeted, while others were apparently random.

Damien Sanderson, 31, was found dead on the James Smith Cree Nation and his brother, Myles Sanderson, 30, “may have sustained injuries” and may be seeking medical attention, said Rhonda Blackmore, commanding officer of the Saskatchewan Royal Canadian Mounted Police, at a news conference.

With the death of one Sanderson brother and the injury to the other, the casualty count now stood at 11 dead and 19 injured, Blackmore said.

Damien Sanderson’s body was found outdoors in a heavily grassy area near a house that was being examined, she said.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called the attacks “shocking and heartbreaking” and said he had spoken with the leadership of the James Smith Cree Nation and Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe to pledge his government’s support.

Image courtesy of (Photo courtesy: Flickr)

Share this post