New York: New York Mayor Bill de Blasio is weighing whether to impose more safety restrictions on the city’s annual New Year’s Eve celebration in Times Square.
With Covid-19 cases spiking, New York City officials said Wednesday they are opening more testing sites and restricting visiting at city-run hospitals and jails — but having crowds in Times Square for New Year’s Eve is still a go, for now.
Mayor Bill de Blasio said no decision had been made on banning people from the annual ball drop celebration, even as Fox said it was canceling its live broadcast because of concerns about the omicron variant.
“The preference is to keep it on, it’s an important event for the city,” de Blasio told MSNBC, adding that revelers would have to show vaccination proof and that officials were weighing other precautions.
The New Year’s Eve celebration requires all attendees, unless they have a medical exemption, to be fully vaccinated at least two weeks beforehand, which would have been Friday. Though, there is no requirement for booster doses or masks for vaccinated people.
Mayor de Blasio said he will announce any changes to the New Year’s Eve celebration in Times Square by Christmas.