US cautions Taliban against breaking violence reduction deal

Washington: US President Donald Trump’s National Security Adviser (NSA) Robert O’Brien has said that the US would be unlikely to sign an agreement with the Afghan Taliban should the latter fail to comply with a reduction of violence deal.

“If the Taliban does not live up to their agreement on the reduction of violence plan, then we’ll take a very careful look at it, and I think it’d be unlikely that we’d sign a peace treaty,” O’Brien said during an interview with CBS News.

“We’re not going to reduce troops to a level below what is necessary to protect American interests and our partners in Afghanistan,” he added.

Earlier in the day, Trump told reporters before kicking off his trip to India that the Taliban “are tired of fighting,” and both the United States and the Taliban seek to make a deal, Xinhua news agency reported.

The so-called seven-day reduction in violence could be a test for the Taliban leadership to prove its control over its fighters ahead of signing a peace deal with the United States to end the war in Afghanistan.

The US and the Afghan Taliban said that they are set to sign an agreement on February 29 after the implementation of a week-long violence reduction in Afghanistan.

Image courtesy of IANS

Share this post