Washington: The US Central Command has said that an estimated 30 to 44 percent of American troops have been withdrawn from Afghanistan until last month.
The US aims for 100 percent removal of its military from the war-torn country by September 11 this year.
The US has also officially handed over six facilities to Afghanistan’s Ministry of Defense, the US Central Command (CENTCOM) said in an update.
Since the President Joe Biden’s decision, the Department of Defense has retrograded the equivalent of approximately 300 C-17 loads of material out of Afghanistan and have turned nearly 13,000 pieces of equipment to the Defense Logistics Agency for disposition, CENTCOM said.
The US and the Taliban signed a landmark deal in Doha on February 29, 2020, to bring lasting peace to war-torn Afghanistan and allow US troops to return home from America’s longest war.
Under the US-Taliban pact, the US has agreed to withdraw all its soldiers from Afghanistan in 14 months. There are currently 2,500 American troops left in Afghanistan, the lowest level of American forces in the war-torn country since 2001.
Since the US-led invasion that ousted the Taliban after the September 11, 2001 attacks, America has spent more than USD 1 trillion in fighting and rebuilding in Afghanistan.
About 2,400 US soldiers have been killed, along with tens of thousands of Afghan troops, Taliban insurgents, and Afghan civilians.