By Atul Vyas
The root chakra connects us with the physical world. It transfers energies to physical and earthly level and lets earthly energy stream into our subtle system.
The root chakra forms the vital foundation for all the higher chakras and is the source of life force. Here we are in touch with inexhaustible reservoir of kundalini energy. The sushmana, ida and pingla, the three main energy channels of the human body also begin in this chakra.
As the heart in the body, so is the root chakra which forms the center of our system of subtle energy cycles. Moreover, it is true seat of the collective unconscious. It is through this chakra the stored knowledge of the collective unconscious becomes accessible.
There are three conditions, when this chakra is functioning harmoniously one trusts and feel secure when it is working disharmoniously one feels insecure, can not let go things easily, becomes very possessive which manifests as constipation and over weight. If this chakra functions insufficiently or blocked then one has weak physical and emotional, constitution.
Anxiety and worry dominates life of such persons.To them life seems a burden which leads to development of sducidal tendencies.
There are many yogic interventions but one of them is Utkat Konasana. This is also known as “Goddess squat”. The Goddess is more often earthy, fleshy and physical. In this pose the Goddess fully claim her power by large base and lowering roots to the earth.
- Bent elbows and lift hands, palms facing forward, elbows nearing shoulder height
- Now, spread the feet as wide as elbows, and toes pointing out to the sides at ninety degrees to the normal position
- On inhalation, bend the knees while lowering the roots
- Activates and balances root chakra thus controls weight, and cure constipation
- Make one feel anchored and secured
- Helps in eliminating suicidal thoughts and tendencies
- Makes one physically, mentally and emotionally strong
Note of Caution
Those having knee problem or injuries should avoid this pose.
Atul Vyas likes to be called a “Yoga Scientist”. He is a celebrity yoga trainer and has trained several top Hollywood and Bollywood stars. He has trained for years under many eminent yoga gurus including his illustrious mother Daya Vyas, the first lady yoga guru of India.