Yoga is an exploration of one’s essence to discover one’s highest potential. One of the important tools of yoga is Mantra yoga. A mantra is a scientific formula given in a sound or series of sounds that can produce a specific physical energetic, emotional, mental or spiritual effect.
Gayatri Mantra is the highest Mantra for the worship of the Sun God. It says” We Meditate on the divine light of the Sun for illumination of our intelligence to transform our body consciousness into boundless divine consciousness”
According to Swami Vishuddhand Sarswati, the essence of the science of the sun lies in understanding the sun’s rays. Everything and anything can be created and destroyed by using different combinations of sun rays. Each Sunray is composed of many bands of rays of different wavelengths and colors.
As seen when sunlight is passed through a prism it breaks into seven different color bands which have different wavelengths. These seven bands influence seven Chakras of our bodies. Each chakra has a specific color that corresponds to the color of the band and activates the energy system of the body.
The Ashtanga Namaskara or salutation is a very special body prostration before the sun with 8 parts of the body touching the earth while the rest of the body remains above the ground.
- Moving from the staff pose and keeping the toes together, lower knees till they touch the ground, and hold. Raise your pelvic and abdominal region above the ground at the level of the heels.
- Now bring your chest down till it touches the ground, hold it; and lower your forehead till it also touches the earth.
- Keep the palms on ground by the side of your shoulders
- The entire body should rest on the toes, knees, chest, and forehead and should be roughly in a straight line.
- Breathe normally
- Strengthens muscles of arms and legs
- Five toes correspond to 5 chakras. These chakras are activated when toes are pressed against the earth
- Toning up of the energy system of the body
- Palm chakra activation energies shoulders, and helps in easing of shoulder pain
- Knee chakra activation improves knee health
(The author likes to be called a “Yoga Scientist.” He is a celebrity yoga trainer and has trained several top Hollywood and Bollywood stars. He has trained for years under many eminent yoga gurus including his illustrious mother Daya Vyas, the first lady yoga guru of India.)